Reclaiming The Voice Part 2
The throat chakra allows us to communicate and listen effectively. We understand when it’s appropriate to speak, and repeat what we learn with accuracy. Clairaudience, the ability to hear on the subtle etheric and astral planes, happens through this energy center.
The developmental stage of the throat chakra is between the ages of 7 to 12 years. These formative years are a time of learning to express ourselves intellectually and creatively. If we receive mixed messages and live in an environment of lies, yelling, criticism or feeling threatened, we begin to withdraw and the fullness of our voice becomes lost.
Common signs of a closed throat chakra include: poor listening skills, talking excessively and loud, not speaking and talking too quiet to hear, gossiping, lying, yelling and using excessive expletives. Some of these qualities may be excessive and some deficient. I’ve noticed all will be present to some degree if the throat is closed.
Outcome, a closed throat disables our ability to communicate with the world around us. The results are hard to miss as the inability to express feelings effect all areas of life. In the aftermath, boundaries are unclear, singing is left to the shower and poetic expression is unheard of. To release blockages, we can draw on a variety of skills. Depending on individual needs some of these techniques will be more effective than others. In my opinion, healing can be seperated into two parts:
Part I - Learn Communication Skills
Part II - Clear The Energy
Part I Learn Communication Skills
To practice healthy communication techniques, we need to know what we don’t know. At this point, education is key. Read books, watch videos go to classes and talk to people who demonstrate strong communication styles. Through education, we can begin to logically identify bad habits and start to adopt positive skills.
At the end of this blog, I have included a list of helpful books and keywords.
Part II - Clear the Energy
Here are some techniques I found very helpful:
(1) A blocked throat leads to health issues like sore throat, tightness in the jaw, headaches, stiff shoulders and neck. Begin exercises to loosen the neck and shoulders.
(2) The color for the throat chakra is a turquoise or bright blue. There are many stones to work with, but here are a few to wear, carry or meditate with: Turquoise, Aquamarine, Blue Topaz, Blue Quartz, Celestite, Blue tourmaline, Chrysoprase.
(3) Two or three times a day recite an affirmation. The throat affirmation presented here is from the book “Heal Your Body” by Louise Hay: It’s okay to make noise. I express myself freely and joyously. I speak up for myself with ease. I express my creativity. I am willing to change.
(4) Each chakra has a specific seed sound. The seed sound for the throat is HAM. Pronounced with a long A as in the word “mantra”. Intone the sound HAM everyday, you’ll know you’ve got it right when the sound vibrates in your throat.
(5) Personal Dialoging. Frequently, old wounds will get stirred up. Sit by yourself and say the things you want or need too. Complete conversations. Journal.
(6) Sit in silence.
(7) Reiki, Shamanic healing and Sound bathing will help clear out old energy as you loosen it up.
(8) Aerobic excercise really helps. It's vital to move the body to release the pain of internal wounds.
Lastly, to open the throat, it is necessary to resolve anger issues from childhood. Please visit a previous blog I wrote called: Subdue Anger and Harness Personal Power. Here are some keywords to attract the right information online: nonviolent communication, conflict resolution, setting boundaries, reading body language, interpersonal communication styles, listening skills, meditation.
“Eastern Body, Western Mind” Author Anodea Judith
“The Sevenfold Journey, Reclaiming Mind, Body, Spirit Through The Chakras” Authors Anodea Judith and Selene Vega
“Heal Your Body” by Louise Hay